Advanced search options

Advanced Search Options 🞨

Browse by author name (“Author name starts with…”).

Find ETDs with:

in
/  
in
/  
in
/  
in

Written in Published in Earliest date Latest date

Sorted by

Results per page:

You searched for +publisher:"University of Pretoria" +contributor:("Coetzee, G.P. (Philna)"). One record found.

Search Limiters

Last 2 Years | English Only

No search limiters apply to these results.

▼ Search Limiters


University of Pretoria

1. Janse van Rensburg, J.O. (Jacobus Oosthuizen). Internal audit capability : a public sector case study.

Degree: MCom, Auditing, 2014, University of Pretoria

The South African public sector faces significant challenges that impact on its ability to deliver services to the public. There are several parties that can assist the public sector in addressing these challenges. One of these is the internal audit functions of government organisations. For internal auditing to support effectively the managements of the government organisations they serve, the internal audit function should be sufficiently capable. The questions remain as to whether South African public sector internal audit functions are sufficiently capable and how internal audit capability can be measured. The Institute of Internal Auditors Research Foundation published the Internal Audit Capability Model (IA-CM) in 2009. The main purpose of the model is to provide a capability self-assessment tool for public sector internal audit functions. This model could be used as a yardstick in measuring public sector internal audit capability within South Africa, should the elements and key process areas (KPAs) of the model be applicable to the South African context. This study therefore aims to determine whether the IA-CM can be applied within a South African context. The South African public sector, the role of internal auditing within the South African public sector as well as the IA-CM as a tool of measuring public sector internal audit capability were investigated. A literature review was conducted on these topics, as a foundation for the study. Specific data was obtained on each of the KPAs of the IA-CM through a case study design by selecting an appropriate South African national department and ranking the case against the KPAs of the IA-CM. The ranking was conducted based on a review of relevant documents and interviews with applicable internal audit and management staff and audit committee members of the selected case. The study concludes that 82.9% of the KPAs of the IA-CM appear to be applicable within a South African context and that, in essence, the model can be applied within a South African context. However, eight hindrances that may negatively affect the feasibility of implementing the remaining 17.1% of the KPAs or certain components of these KPA’s, have been also been identified. Advisors/Committee Members: Coetzee, G.P. (Philna) (advisor).

Subjects/Keywords: Internal auditing; Capability maturity model; Internal Audit Capability Model; Capability; Public sector; UCTD

Record DetailsSimilar RecordsGoogle PlusoneFacebookTwitterCiteULikeMendeleyreddit

APA · Chicago · MLA · Vancouver · CSE | Export to Zotero / EndNote / Reference Manager

APA (6th Edition):

Janse van Rensburg, J. O. (. O. (2014). Internal audit capability : a public sector case study. (Masters Thesis). University of Pretoria. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/2263/43357

Chicago Manual of Style (16th Edition):

Janse van Rensburg, J O (Jacobus Oosthuizen). “Internal audit capability : a public sector case study.” 2014. Masters Thesis, University of Pretoria. Accessed December 11, 2019. http://hdl.handle.net/2263/43357.

MLA Handbook (7th Edition):

Janse van Rensburg, J O (Jacobus Oosthuizen). “Internal audit capability : a public sector case study.” 2014. Web. 11 Dec 2019.

Vancouver:

Janse van Rensburg JO(O. Internal audit capability : a public sector case study. [Internet] [Masters thesis]. University of Pretoria; 2014. [cited 2019 Dec 11]. Available from: http://hdl.handle.net/2263/43357.

Council of Science Editors:

Janse van Rensburg JO(O. Internal audit capability : a public sector case study. [Masters Thesis]. University of Pretoria; 2014. Available from: http://hdl.handle.net/2263/43357

.